Thursday, January 7, 2010

Celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary



Well, I've been away from the computer for the past couple of days. January 5 was our 20th wedding anniversary. Grandpa and Gramma were willing to watch the kids, and we wanted to get away and do something special...but on a tight budget. Did you know that you really can get away to a big city and spend a night in a nice hotel relatively inexpensively? Ah, the joys of shopping around on the Internet for the best deals! We decided to go to Chicago since it isn't very far away from us. My husband found an incredible deal at the Sofitel (a French hotel) on Travelzoo.com and told them in the notes we were celebrating our 20th anniversary. Well, we not only got a room on the top level of the hotel but it was complete with well wishes from everyone and Evian water and chocolate covered strawberries in the room because of the occasion. (Oh, the deal even had a food voucher for breakfast the next morning). One direction of the view is above along with a picture of those strawberries. We were two blocks away from Michigan Avenue and walked and walked and window shopped. It was surreal and wonderful. We had gift cards and were able to have dinner at a nice restaurant that was across the street from the beautiful Bloomingdale's Home store. We had the top level of the restaurant to ourselves (the waiter said it was traditionally their slowest week of the year) and looked out to the beautiful architecture and stained-glass filled windows. The picture above does not give it justice. It has a Middle Eastern flavor to the windows and architecture and was gorgeous. We had a wonderful time without the guilt of spending a fortune, and I'm thankful for a nice, relaxed time with my husband. Most importantly I'm thankful for our marriage and these past 20 years being with my best friend.

7 comments:

KV Creative Designs said...

Happy Anniversary!! Thank you for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway! GL.

Artful Blessings,
Kathryn

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Michele,
Happy Anniversary. Sounds like you had a great time.
Happy New Year.

Tammy

The Pink Birdhouse said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! The 20th really is special, and you sure do find a great way to celebrate it. I thought I saw chocolate covered strawberries on that tray, they have got to be my all time favorite thing in the world to nosh on! Thanks so much for sharing your special weekend with us. My brother is not far from Chicago. hugs, and thank so much for the lovely comment on my blog-iversary post. hugs, Debby

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Happy Anniversary! It sounds like you had everything you could want for your special day! We live near NYC and for our 25th went to Tavern on the Green where we were the night we got engaged...so sad it closed this week forever! Glad we went back when we did!
~Nancy

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Michele, what a wonderful anneversary get away. I'm so glad that you got to take it. It seems like along time since I've been here.

Happy new year,
I look forward to visiting you this year.

cindy@stitches

Angela Harris said...

Congratulations! on your wedding anniversary!! The photos look delicious!!
~Angela Harris

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Michele,

It looks so gorgeous!! I hope you had a wonderful time. Happy Anniversary!


Pei Li