Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Pleasant words..."

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. (Proverbs 16:24) Who would ever think that a few pleasant words given to someone could have such impact! There have been times when someone has said or written something unpleasant to me that affected me for days afterward. It bothers me terribly when someone is unkind as I'm sure it does many people. Some can shrug things off easier than others, and I wish I were more that way. It also makes me think of how I have been, am, and should be towards others. Sometimes burdens in life can get a person down a bit--sickness comes, bills arrive that are twice what you thought, the car breaks down, someone close gets cancer, etc.--you know how it is. There are many people out there with many burdens. There are studies that prove that increased stress and difficulties negatively affects one's health. I know what a blessing it has been the many times people, some I barely know, offered me a pleasant word. Those little kindnesses were indeed "sweet" to me and put a smile on my face and a ray of sunshine in my heart. Some of those people are you, dear blog readers, who have left a kind and encouraging comment on one of my posts. Thank you so very, very much. You have been the inspiration for this post. You have given a bit of sweetness and perhaps a healthier day to me, have given me inspiration to seek the verse above, and encouraged me to remember the verse and try to offer pleasant words to others each day.

No comments: